Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The First Annual Hashy Awards

Well I'll be goddamned, if it isn't already 2008! It's useless to talk about time flying, mostly because time had mastered flight before anyone even conceptualized what time is. These days, we use for many things: to measure the increment between oil changes, the duration of a relationship, the amount of shopping days until Christmas, and of course, my favorite, to create a deadline in which entertainment products must be released to be eligible for awards!

The most prestigious award of all is, without a doubt, the Hashy. This is because it's an award based largely on my subjective opinion and slightly biased opinion. Most awards pretend to be based on fair democratic processes such as voting, but we all know that's total bullshit. What you get here is the real deal. It's easy to see without that wool over your eyes, isn't it?

The Hashies cover the visual media only. It's not that I don't read, or that I don't appreciate music, but I feel that my limited exposure to those areas makes me far from an adequate judge of what could be considered the best book or song of the year. So instead, the focus here lies on television, film, and of course, videogames. Get it? Ok, so without further adieu, let's start with television.

SHOW THAT FELL OFF:
Lost
Oh, Lost. True to your title, you have really lost your way. You began life as an intriguing character study with some action and mystery thrown-in. Your first two seasons managed to keep the supernatural to a minimum and the the suspense at a fever pitch. But your third season, which ended in the spring of 2007, was really a dud. The others weren't enough, apparently, you needed to introduce other others. And all those mysteries from the first two season? You seemed more concerned with introducing new ones than solving them. And the final nail in the coffin was the hiatus you went on before starting your fourth season. Just face it, you're out of ideas. It really makes me sad that was once the most intense show on television is now the most egregious example of shark-jumping to be found anywhere. Ten bucks says it all ends up being Jack's dream.

BEST SHOW THAT TOTALLY ISN'T NEW THAT I DISCOVERED:
Entourage
If it weren't for the technological marvel that is HBO In Demand, I probably never would have found this gem. A few months back, the entire first season was available on the In Demand service, and I watched all of them. It's really brilliant. It has the look and feel of a celebrity reality show, only not at all pathetic, and quite funny. And seriously, it's about fucking time Jeremy Piven made a name for himself. It saddens me that a guy who's that talented spent the better part of the last 20 years playing second fiddle to fucking John Cusack--and I like John Cusack! But Piven as asshole Hollywood agent Ari Gold makes the show. I'm on the third season right now, and loving it. Check it out.

BEST SEASON FINALE:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Holy shit, I was totally not expecting this. But I should have! As much as I revere Seinfeld, Curb has long since surpassed it in terms of creativity. This year's season was no exception. With racial jokes-a-plenty (the David's took in a family of hurricane victims named the Blacks,) and Larry and Cheryl splitting up, it was spot on. But in true Curb fashion, which is where I feel it excells over Seinfeld, everything came to a head in the season finale. I won't give too much away, but seeing Susie finally get hers was the-greatest. Fan service at its best, and truly great fucking entertainment.

BEST SHOW THAT YOU COULD WATCH IF YOU COULD ONLY WATCH ONE SHOW:
The Sopranos
Honestly, what's there left to say about The Sopranos that hasn't already been said? This mafia opus is simply the best written, best acted, best-everything show in the history of television. Sure, the season six part two thing was kind of bullshit . . . just call it season seven! But man, it did just about everything right. Years of watching voyeuristically as Tony lied, stole, cheated, killed, and fucked ended abruptly in darkness. "WTF!," you say? Yeah, some people were pissed, but fuck them. They just don't get it. It was an amazing end to an amazing run. Now I'm just waiting to come into a small fortune so I can afford to buy the rest of the DVDs.


That's it for now. I'll post the results for film and videogames later!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i anxiously await the hashy film awards.
<3