Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Addicted to Tequila

I mentioned in a previous post that my latest television obsession is the so-bad-it's-good A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila. My DVR currently holds all the episodes to date, and come tonight will get another one. I'm so excited!

No, but seriously. Around here we get together and watch it each week and are continually amazed by it always manages to outdo itself. I think just about the only thing left that would surprise me would be if someone got shanked during eliminations . . . you know what? That wouldn't even surprise me. At this point I expect it.

For those of you who actually have lives (and those that try really hard pretending to,) you might not know who or what Tila Tequila is. Lucky for you, I can sum up her entire life in one run-on sentence, here goes. Tila Tequila is a four-foot tall bug-eyed nude model with an amazing body and a goofy laugh who pretty much made a name for herself by being the number-one friend whore on everybody's favorite networking site: Myspace.com.

Bug-eyed, naked and all over the Interwebs.

The premise of the show is just as ridiculous as her "career." Tila, a long-time slut, has found her life of thousands of sexual encounters to be unfulfilling and is looking for love. Yes, LOVE. Like many other celebrities, finding love is easiest for Tila by moving 16 people into a mansion, keeping them drunk 24-7, and making them compete in humiliating contests, in which the losers of said contests end up getting eliminated. Man, sure beats a lifetime of soul searching and dating . . . These celebrities have it so easy.

By far you've gathered that it's pretty much the exact same premise as all of the other C-List celebrity dating shows out there, and it is, with one exception. Tila Tequila is bi-sexual, so on this show she's got men AND women competing for her "love."

Of course I put love in quotation marks because it's bullshit. Even a heartless cynic like myself who can count the amount of people I've said "I love you," to on one of Homer Simpson's hands knows that no one here is in love. But hey, these delusional frat boys and lesbians make for some damn good TV!

The appeal is really hard for me to pinpoint exactly . . . I mean, arousal from watching girls makeout is something that I outgrew when I realized that getting two girls to kiss was about as difficult as making toast. And seeing the female contestants prance around half naked can't be it, either, because even before they started getting eliminated the girls were only about 40% as hot as the girls on other reality shows . . . There's the fights, I do enjoy those, and there's already been several.

I suppose it's just the way the show so unabashedly embraces everything that is awful about reality television in each one-hour episode. There is a reason that reality TV has become so popular, and it's because people love the escapism of watching other people's "problems." Nothing can get rid of the feelings brought on by a shitty day at work quicker than watching some clown eat Rocky Mountain Oysters while wearing a Speedo all in the name of love.

It's good stuff, really.

This is my plug for A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila. A show that I shouldn't love, but do. And a show that you probably don't watch, but should.

1 comment:

EscobaRachel said...

u amuse me. keep em coming.